The Basics: Who, What, When
Rescued Dogs, Rescuing Others:
SDI adopts dogs from shelters and rescue groups and trains them to be assistance dogs
We train two types of assistance dogs:
Hearing Dogs for the deaf or hard of hearing
Mobility Service Dogs for individuals with paralysis, limb loss, etc.
We train EACH DOG to the specific recipient’s needs and home situation
Who We Train For:
- Adult individuals and veterans who are Texas residents
- 25 years or older
- Living with hearing or mobility impairment
- Need an assistance dog to accompany them in public facilities (full public access)
What it costs:
We provide our dogs free of charge through the generous support of our donors. However, there are personal costs a client is responsible for:
- A non-refundable $50 application fee (which pays for a background check for each applicant and processing.)
- Travel and lodging costs to attend sessions at our Training Center in Dripping Springs, Texas
- Care and maintenance for their dog once received (approximately $2000/year)
- Maintaining an active email account and cellphone texting capability. These are our main communication tools during the application process, while on the waitlist, throughout training and for annual recertification.
This is the big one. It takes time to apply, time to be accepted and time on the waiting list.
- Application process: 3 to 6 months
- Waiting list for dog: 10-24 months
- Wait time depends on finding a dog that suits your needs and living environment. You’ll be involved in a training program while you wait that is required for all clients.
For more details, read all pages in the”Apply for a Dog” and “Our Dogs” sections.
Service Dogs, Inc. prohibits discrimination based on race, color, creed, gender, religion, marital status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition including genetic characteristics, pregnancy, sexual orientation, citizenship status, military service status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.