Apply for a Service or Hearing Dog
We are currently accepting applications for Hearing Dogs and Service Dogs.
Thank you for your interest in applying to Service Dogs, Inc. for a Hearing Dog or Service Dog. Our goal is to provide you with excellent service.
YES, we DO train dogs to assist with:
Hearing Dogs: Deafness, hard of hearing, hearing impairment
Service Dogs: Loss of use of legs and/or arms, e.g., Paraplegia, quadriplegia, Muscular Dystrophy, Multiple Sclerosis, Spina Bifida, stroke, etc.
NO, we do NOT train dogs to assist with:
Children (younger than 18)
Protection / Guarding
Visual impairment / blindness
No, we do NOT train:
A dog you already own
Your Time Involved
Application process: 3 to 6 months
Waiting list for dog: 1 to 2 years – Wait time depends on Service Dogs, Inc. finding a dog that suits your needs and living environment
You Must Be Able to Travel to Our Training Campus:
4925 Bell Springs Road
Dripping Springs, Texas 78620
(Near SW Austin)
(1) 1 Day
Applicant Orientation Day
After we receive your 3 application forms and $25 application fee, we will invite you to attend Applicant Orientation Day. Other people applying for
dogs will be there, too. Applicant Orientation Day serves to give you a better understanding of what it is like to have a Hearing or Service Dog. It
also gives our staff the opportunity to get to know you and better understand your needs.
- Presentations by Service Dogs, Inc. staff about what it’s really like to have a Hearing or Service Dog
- Hands on training sessions with the dogs
- One-on-one Interview
- Opportunity to ask us questions
(2) 1/2 Day
We introduce you to one or more dogs that we think might be a good match for you. We also interview you again to catch up on your custom training
needs with your Hearing or Service Dogs.
(3) 5 Days (Monday – Friday)
- Learn to work with your new dog with other recipients in a class setting – Lecture and hands-one training sessions with your dog!
After Team Training, we move the dog into YOUR home! The rest of the training takes place in your home & community!
In-Home Training – 13 weeks
- We will schedule a weekly training session with you
- You and your new Hearing or Service Dog will work with your Trainer in your home, and eventually in public locations, such as where you work or go to school, restaurants and stores.
- Eventually, your Trainer will only work with you every other week
- Homework: You are responsible for daily training with your dog between visits by your Trainer
- In your home – tests you and your dog working as a team on sound alerts (Hearing Dogs) or service behaviors (Service Dog) in the home
- In public – We used the Assistance Dogs International Public Access Test
- We will re-certify you and your dog at 3 months, 6 months and annually after that
- We provide follow up for you throughout the lifetime of your dog
We custom train each Hearing and Service Dog to the specific recipient’s needs.
Hearing Dogs alert their deaf partners by touch to get their attention, then lead them to a variety of important everyday sounds, including the:
- Doorbell or door knock
- Smoke alarm
- Alarm clock
- Oven timer
- Someone calling your name
- Baby’s cry
- Other requested sounds, if possible
We teach them to respond to spoken cues and hand gestures.
Service Dogs assist mobility challenged individuals by:
- Opening/closing doors, drawers, cabinets and refrigerators
- Retrieving dropped items
- Fetching out of reach manual wheelchairs
- Turning lights and ceiling fans on and off
- Getting help
- Moving paralyzed limbs, e.g. legs up onto bed, arm up onto armrest of wheelchair
- Customized tasks such as assistance with clothing and specialized equipment
- May pull a manual wheelchair brief distances
- Other customized behaviors, if possible
We are Currently Accepting Applications!
We accept applications during certain times of the year. This allows us to maintain a training cycle so that we can keep recipients’ wait time for a dog as short as possible.
Ready To Apply?
Please review the following required pages before beginning. You must certify you have read this information on the application form:
Service Dogs, Inc. prohibits discrimination based on race, color, creed, gender, religion, marital status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition including genetic characteristics, pregnancy, sexual orientation, citizenship status, military service status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.