Things to Know Before You Apply
SDI adopts dogs from shelters and rescue groups, as well as career change dogs from other organizations and trains them to be assistance dogs for individuals in Texas.
We train three types of assistance dogs:
Hearing Dogs for individuals with a significant loss of hearing.
Mobility Service Dogs for individuals with mobility-related challenges, e.g. spinal cord injury, Cerebral Palsy, Muscular Dystrophy, Multiple Sclerosis, Stroke, Parkinson’s, etc.
Facility Dogs for court systems and frontline workers systems, e.g. hospitals, fire stations, etc.
We train EACH DOG to the specific recipient’s needs and situation.
- Must be at least 21 years old
- Texas only
What it costs:
Free of charge
Clients responsible for:
- A non-refundable $50 application fee
- Travel and lodging costs to attend sessions at our Training Center in Dripping Springs, Texas
- Care and maintenance of dog once received (approximately $2000/year)
- Maintaining an active email account and cellphone texting capability. These are our main communication tools during the application process, while on the wait-list, throughout training and for annual re-certification.
It takes time to apply, time to be accepted, and time to be matched with a dog.
- Application process may take up to 6 months.
- Wait time to receive a dog depends on finding a dog that suits the individual needs and living environment of each client. Accepted clients will be involved in a required training program while waiting to be matched with a dog.
For more details, read all pages in the”Apply for a Dog” and “Our Dogs” sections.
Service Dogs, Inc. prohibits discrimination based on race, creed, gender, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, or other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.