What’s Required of Assistance Dog Partners
Building a Team
This means training is never over. You always train to maintain your team skills and deepen your partnership.
To receive an Hearing or Service Dog from SDI a client has responsibilities throughout the 10-15 year life of the dog. Please consider these requirements carefully.
- Interact with the dog and treat the dog with appreciation, love and respect.
- Practice obedience regularly.
- Practice the dog’s assistance skills regularly.
- Maintain the dog’s proper behavior in public and at home.
- Carry proper identification and be aware of all applicable laws pertaining to assistance dogs.
- Provide for the dog’s emotional and physical needs.
- Provide a stable and secure living environment.
- Keep the dog well-groomed and well cared for.
- Practice preventative health care for the dog.
- Obtain annual health checks and vaccinations for the dog.
- Abide by all leash and license laws.
- Follow Service Dogs, Inc.’s requirements for progress reports and medical evaluations.
- Successfully pass the Assistance Dogs International Public Access Test each year as part of the recertification process.
- Arrange for the prompt cleanup of dog’s waste.
- Assume all financial costs for the care and maintenance of the dog once it moves into your home. (Approx. $2000 per year.)
Complete the application form ONLY if you are certain you can meet these requirements for the lifetime of the dog.
For more information read: