Project Adopt – Dogs Curated Specifically for Pet Homes
About Project Adopt
Due to the popularity of our Career Change Dog adoption program and pursuant to our mission of rescuing shelter dogs, SDI created Project Adopt.
We are adopting dogs from shelters for the specific purpose of placing them in loving pet homes.
What you get with an SDI Project Adopt Dog:
- Already spayed/neutered (Value $250+)
- Current on all vaccinations (Value $100)
- Already tested for heartworm and other parasites (Value $100)
- Already examined by veterinarian (Value $50)
- Boarded and trained for at least 3 months (Value $1,500)
Total Value $2,000+
Adoption Fee $500!
Requirements to adopt:
- Adopters must be at least 21
- Able to visit our Training Center in Dripping Springs to meet the dog
- A fenced yard or reasonable exercise area
- Commitment to humane care as stated in the adoption contract
- Access to shelter outdoors and to the home – the dog may not be kept solely as an outside dog
- Agreement the dog will be a family pet and will not be used as a Service Dog
Process to adopt:
- View our available dogs below
- Submit an adoption application online
- Answer follow-up questions from SDI by email or phone
- Attend a Meet-and-Greet at our site in Dripping Springs
- You get a chance to meet the dog and get acquainted
- All family members and dogs should attend
- Home visit – take the dog to your home for 5-7 days, enough time for the dog to relax in your home so you can see what day-to-day life partnership will be like.
- Sign the adoption agreement and pay the adoption fee. The fee is $500. It helps SDI recover a portion of the costs we invest in each dog.
- Plan to take your dog to obedience training to build your relationship and help the dog learn what is expected in his new family. Choose a training program that emphasizes positive reinforcement and building a relationship with your dog. This continues the approach used during training at SDI — and you will probably be the star of your class!