Service Dogs Inc. occasionally releases a dog from our training program. If a dog is not comfortable with the constant flow of new situations and people that service dogs face, we release it for adoption as a pet. We never return a dog to the shelter — we find it a permanent home.
Our adoptable dogs are not service dogs, but they can be wonderful pets and companions.
Our dogs are selected from shelters because they are people focused, responsive to training, eager to please and friendly. Each begins basic obedience training and released dogs are usually identified in the first three months of training. These dogs continue obedience work while they are at THSD. The reasons we release a dog can vary but recent examples include fear of thunder, reactivity to cats, nervousness in public situations and mild hip dysplasia.
If you’re interested in one of our pet dogs, please read the requirements and process below.
Requirements to adopt:
- A fenced yard or reasonable exercise area
- Commitment to humane care as stated in the adoption contract
- Access to shelter and the home – the dog may not be kept solely as an outside dog
- Agreement the dog will be a family pet and is not trained as a service dog
Please note we do not always have pet dogs available. Process to adopt:
- Visit PetFinders to view our available dogs.
- Submit an adoption application online
- Answer follow-up questions from THSD by email or phone
- Attend a Meet-and-Greet at our site in Dripping Springs
- You get a chance to meet the dog and get acquainted
- All family members and dogs should attend
- Home visit – take the dog to your home for 2-3 days
- Sign the adoption agreement and pay the adoption fee
- You will be encouraged to take your dog to obedience training to build your relationship and help the dog learn what is expected in his new family. Choose a training program that emphasizes positive reinforcement and building a relationship with your dog. This continues the approach used during training at THSD.
To apply for a pet dog, fill out the adoption application here.