Service Dogs, Inc. transforms dogs abandoned to animal shelters into lifelines for people living with hearing loss or mobility challenges. Founded in 1988 by attorney Sheri Soltes, SDI provides the dogs and training free of charge.
The Mission of Service Dogs, Inc. is to improve the quality of life of persons living with disabilities through the training and provision of Hearing and Service Dogs.
- To bring greater independence to people living with disabilities through partnership with a working dog
- To provide abandoned and unwanted dogs renewed lives of love and service
- To provide the dogs and training free of charge to recipients
- Hearing Dog and Service Dog Training
- We provide the dogs and training free of charge
- We serve veterans and other adults residing in Texas
- We custom train each dog and client
- Client training includes a 5-day Team Training Class followed by 13 weekly sessions in their home, workplace and community
- Clients receive follow up for the lifetime of the Hearing or Service Dog
- PAWS – We mentor through the Texas Juvenile Justice Department to teach juvenile offenders positive dog training skills. Inmates learn to train newly adopted shelter dogs to prepare them for our Hearing and Service Dog training program or adoption. PAWS stands for Pairing Achievement with Service
- Trainers Academy – We offer three separate 5-day events for professional dog trainers interested in Hearing and Service Dog training.
- We adopt all of our dogs from animal shelters and rescue groups.
- We select dogs based on temperament including both mix and pure breeds.
- We transform these formerly abandoned dogs into
- Hearing Dogs – They alert their deaf partners by touch and lead them to sounds
- Service Dogs – They pick up dropped objects, open and close doors, fetch help, open the refrigerator and fetch desired items, nudge arms and legs into the desired position, help with laundry and perform other customized tasks
- Not only help with tasks but provide friendship and increased social interaction
Your Donation – One Donation Saves Two Lives
- Your gift saves dogs’ lives
- You donation gives people the gifts of independence, security, companionship, unconditional love and team work
- Your gift is tax deductible, deeply appreciated and used carefully and responsibly
- People with mobility impairments must overcome challenges for even the simplest life tasks – picking up dropped keys or a pen, opening a door, turning on a light, getting the remote control, rolling over or sitting up in bed, transferring to and from a wheelchair, or getting the phone in case of emergency.
- People who are deaf or hard of hearing cannot hear their child call their name. They may miss a warning alarm. They can’t respond to many of the sounds key for safety and independence such as alarms, sirens, phones, timers, doorbells, and buzzers. Hearing Dogs alert their partners by touch and lead them to these important sounds and more.
- We have 40 or more people on a waiting list and wait time is 1-2 years. They wait as we seek funding to provide a Hearing or Service Dog to suit their specialized needs.
Please consider making a donation today.
Service Dogs, Inc. does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, HIV/AIDS status, physical or mental disability for the purpose of service, employment, membership, volunteering, or leadership.